Katharine E. Schimel
Deputy editor-digital, High Country News
Managing hcn.org including digital strategy & vision, story assignment & editing. I manage a team of reporters, editors and freelancers and coordinate a cross-departmental web team to lay out the future of hcn.org, troubleshoot and coordinate projects. I oversee special projects for HCN and contribute to HCN’s editorial direction. Coordinator and coach for HCN’s respected internship and fellowship programs.
Assistant editor, High Country News
Managing hcn.org with Tay Wiles, deputy editor-digital, including digital strategy & vision, assigning & editing stories, developing social media & engagement plans & comment moderation, as well as day-to-day troubleshooting & tweaking. I oversaw HCN’s data & interactive projects, including mapping, analysis & reporter support.
Correspondent, High Country News
June 2015-November 2015
Regular web editing responsibilities; Interactive web element design, including mapping, analysis & reporter support. I also covered the Pacific Northwest’s environment & culture for magazine & web.
Freelance writer and editor
Writing and editing for media, school and non-profit organizations. Work has appeared in Catalyst Chicago, Denver Post, Crosscut and Chalkbeat network.
Editor, Chalkbeat network
October 2014-January 2015
Development of the network’s community-written section, including working with contributors from conception to publication and syndication across our sites
Staff reporter, Chalkbeat Colorado
September 2013-October 2014
Daily beat and investigative reporting for non-profit news startup focused on education and educational changes in Colorado
Previous: Editorial Intern, Willamette Week, Portland, OR
Science Communications Intern, Virginia Sea Grant, Gloucester, VA
Intern, EducationNews Colorado, Denver, CO
Intern, Gotham Schools, New York, NY
Editorial Intern, Rosen Publishing, New York, NY
- News photography and basic videography/video production skills
- Experienced with data analysis, visualization and interactive tools including CRAN, ArcGIS, Tableau, CartoDB and Google Fusion Tables
Other digital skills: MS Office Suite, Google Analytics, WordPress, Final Cut Pro, Adode Photoshop, JMP, basic HTML and LaTeX
- Languages: Fluent French, Conversant German and Spanish
- Wilderness Certifications: Wilderness First Responder, CPR and Avalanche Level 1
- Manager, Reed College Backpack Co-op
fall 2011-spring 2013
- Teaching Assistant, Biology Department, Reed College
- Lab Assistant, Institute for Arctic and Alpine Research
spring 2011, summer 2010
- Head Counselor, Colvig Silver Summer Camps